THE ROADRUNNER

THE ROADRUNNER

THE ROADRUNNER

Butte College’s Roadrunner Hub offers resources during their “Back on Track” supply distribution.

After an initial grant of $1500, staff donations and student food drives keep the student Food Pantry open for service.
Eston Conley
Students take advantage of free resources despite the excessive heat.

On Tuesday, July 9, Butte Colleges Roadrunner Hub, in collaboration with Back on Track, held a pop-up event at 325 Plumas Ave in Oroville, CA where resources like food and hygiene supplies were passed out to students and those in the community who have been impacted by the local fires such as the Thompson Fire.

• andrew interveiwing Roadrunner hub workers provideing relife items to students affected by the fire.

• Maisue Thao, Basic Needs Specialist.

• Fruit provided by Roadrunner Hub workers provides welcomed nutrition.

Maisue Thao, the Basic Needs Specialist who runs the Roadrunner Hub, along with Mai Xiong, a Student Success Specialist, hosted and was happy to be of service to the students and community of Butte County. “We were just hoping that we can provide these things to students and are here to serve as many students as possible,” Maisue had to say, adding,  “We feel like students don’t know about the services we offer.”

This event lasted for about an hour, with extreme heat cutting the event short.

Back on Track is a Butte College service, hosted through the college’s Center for Academic Success, that helps students with Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) appeals and other appeals needed to get students back on track with their education, according to the information on their Facebook page.

• Roadrunner hub relife items available to students affected by the fire.

• Mai Xiong, Student Success Specialist, offers support and encouragement to those impacted by local fires.

The BC Food Pantry offers food pantry items, hygiene products, mental health support, student health clinic, shower access, help with applying for Medi-Cal, help with applying for housing, emergency transportation services, and childcare resources, including diapers.

The Food Pantry was started in the Fall of 2008 when faculty and staff noticed that too many students were coming to

class hungry. Many of those students had no food available and were having difficulty focusing on their classes. The

The President of Butte College secured a $1,500 food insecurity grant to launch the program. With generous staff donations and payroll deductions, plus student food drives, the Food Pantry has been able to stay operational for ten years.

• Roadrunner hub workers provideing relife items to students affected by the fire.

• Roadrunner Hub workers providing relief items to students affected by the fire.

The Food Pantry is always open. Summer hours are:

• Main Campus Mon-Thurs 8:00 am – 4:30 pm (closed Fri-Sun)
  • Chico Center: see front desk staff during hours of operation
  • Glen Center: see front desk staff during hours of operation

How it works: Students are welcome to grab a bag of food on campus; they also have a refrigerator and freezer so it’s not just shelf-stable food, but fresh and frozen produce and dairy.

Maisue and Mai also added “Tell your peers, don’t be shy,” and “We are happy to help out.”

If you are looking to donate, they accept any unopened and non-expired food donations, during regular office hours, they also accept donations of plastic or reusable bags.

Access the website by going to the Butte College homepage under student support and basic needs.