THE ROADRUNNER

THE ROADRUNNER

THE ROADRUNNER

Purdy’s MVP Chances Gone?

Niners fans shouldn’t lose hope.
Photo+by+Lucas+Andrade+on+Unsplash%0A++
Photo by Lucas Andrade on Unsplash

Brock Purdy didn’t have the Christmas game that he intended on having. As he entered the night looking to lock up the MVP award for himself, he threw three interceptions in the first half of Monday’s game against the Ravens and ended the night with four picks and zero touchdowns.

Lamar Jackson, on the other hand, had a fantastic night throwing two touchdowns with 252 passing yards while also rushing for 45 yards. Lamar took the top spot in the MVP race after the game.

Brock Purdy Mugshot (NFL)

Brock Purdy has had an amazing season for the San Francisco 49ers despite what the naysayers will try to tell you.  You hear a lot of people saying Brock only throws check-downs, but this is simply a fabrication. He actually leads the league in yards per passing attempt, is second in total passing yards, has the best QBR in the league, and is second in passing touchdowns. Brock Purdy is 100% the real deal, whether fans want to admit it or not. 

Despairingly, it seems like Pudy’s MVP hopes went down the drain with Monday night’s horrific performance, and it didn’t help that Lamar Jackson, who is also contending for the MVP award, outplayed him. However, there is a 49er who can still win the award, Christian McCaffery.  

Christian McCaffery easily leads the league in rushing yards, is third in rushing touchdowns, and is tied for the most total touchdowns among running backs. In terms of stats, CMC has undeniably had the best season compared to any other player in the NFL. But, the MVP is normally a QB award, so CMC will have to keep his foot on the gas for the rest of the season in hopes of being the first non-QB to win the award since Adrian Peterson in 2012.

According to ESPN Bet, Lamar Jackson is the favorite to win the award at -215, while CMC sits behind him at +450 odds. It seems as though Lamar Jackson pretty much wrapped up the debate between him and Purdy winning it last night. 

Purdy currently sits at the number 3 spot in MVP odds, but with the way Lamar Jackson is playing, it looks very likely that he will take home the award unless he absolutely collapses within the next two games. The 49ers play two lackluster defenses to end off their season, so there is still hope for both CMC and Brock Purdy to take home the MVP trophy this year. I wouldn’t lose all hope yet if you are a Niners fan.