THE ROADRUNNER

THE ROADRUNNER

THE ROADRUNNER

Laid Back Luau

Local event supports Oroville community activities.
Eston Conley
Down town Oroville booth attendant 2

Aloha! Hawaiin delights, drinks, and even getting lei’d at an event that happened on First Friday, June 7, 2024, from 4 pm –8 pm at 1998 Montgomery St., downtown Oroville. The Downtown Business Association threw a Hawaiian Laid Back Luau, where you could sip and eat while shopping at select businesses.

picture of the Laid Back Luau downtown Oroville.

The event had tickets for sale from 12 dollars advanced sale price and $15 at the door. Spend 20 bucks at a store and you got Lei’d. Drinks and snacks were offered for free as you shopped. The 20-dollar price for the lei included a raffle with a prize of a $50 gift card to a downtown Oroville business of choice.

All proceeds of the ticket sales supported free ODBA, a ‘Downtown Oroville’ organization that helps sponsor events throughout the year, including the Community Christmas Tree Lighting and pictures with Santa. All participating businesses also made their own sales.

Off The Hanger, a downtown boutique, participated at the event. Crystal, who works at the establishment, said, “The event is always good, always a little different, but come in and get Lei’d.” The boutique offered 20% off of hats and purses.

Lorie runs the Gray Nurse Hardware, a place available for events such as weddings, and “shindigs” as she put it. She was very optimistic about the event, saying “People in town are very supportive of the downtown businesses.” They even had spam spears and soda for those who came in.

Another establishment called Tiny Hinnies, which sells baby clothes, served coconut macarons and lemon cream cakes. “It’s always fun, it brings people together which is what I like most,” said Makayla. Tiny Hinnies offered 20-50% clearance, 10% off with cards, and 20% off with cash purchases.

If you are bummed out that you missed out on the Laid Back Luau, don’t worry– more planned events are coming.

• Downtown Oroville Walking Tour, June, 8. Free admission; tips optional.
  • Butte County Olive Festival, June 15, 9 am- 2 pm. Free admission, to be held across the street from the Ehmann Home.
  • Show & Stroll, June 22, third Friday. Free admission, located in the heart of the historic Downtown Oroville.
poster of map of Oroville,ca

For more pictures of the event click here.