Spring Break!

Send your photos of break to the Roadrunner over Instagram or email.
San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge
San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge
Andrew Vojta

Alright, students, it’s finally that time– the point in the semester we’ve all been waiting for with anticipation. March 18 begins the week of spring break. 

The semester is halfway over, and this is a good time to break up the monotony of the school, work, and/or home routine to get into that mind reset and body-recharge.  

It’s probably safe to say that most of you already have your plans made in advance but with all the hecticness of the workload of school, making plans could have slipped past without us even realizing it.  

Don’t worry.  We at the Roadrunner have your back.  

Let’s look at some of the things we can do for spring break that are doable in a day and won’t hurt the bank. 

We live in a beautiful state with a bunch of things to do, and some of these things are even right here in our backyard. 

Mountain in Snow. Butte County, CA. (Andrew Vojta)

Lassen Volcanic National Park is about a two-hour drive from the Butte County area and has a large landscape that can be enjoyed in a day or a couple if you are someone who loves the outdoors. Camping in the park could be a perfect place for you. It is one of the rarest places in the world where you can find all four kinds of volcanoes–the plug dome, shield, cinder cone, and stratovolcanoes. Don’t worry as these volcanoes are inactive. 

Lake Tahoe is always a nice place to visit depending on what you like to do. Lake Tahoe offers a wide range of eateries, fishing in the lake or streams, a scenic lake hike or boating on the lake and, depending on the weather, waterskiing and swimming. Lake Tahoe is also the second deepest lake in the country. This year, you can probably catch some nice fresh white powder and have some good times shredding the mountain on a board or ski, whichever you prefer. They have trails for whatever skill level you are. 

The Redwood Forest and the Avenue of Giants is also a good trip to take at about a five-hour drive depending on the route and trafficking from Butte County. The redwoods are some of the tallest trees in the world. You can walk through some cutout redwoods and engulf yourself in the serenity of California’s coastal nature. The hike will also take you from the foothills of the mountains to the ocean coastline of Humboldt County. The Redwoods also offer a beautiful scenic 31-mile drive known famously as the Avenue of Giants through some of the most beautiful trees in the state. 

If you happen to be one of those people who aren’t into the open outdoors of wide-open nature, going into the forest with all the wild creatures, or just hiking, camping, or snowboarding, then be sure to check out some of these places. 

San Francisco, the City by the Bay, offers a wide variety of experiences. It’s also just a few hours drive from Butte County. There is the beach, and quite a few of them to choose from, such as Ocean Beach, Baker Beach, Golden Gate Beach, Chrissy Field Beach, etc. Then there is the Embarcadero, Fisherman’s Warf, Chinatown, and Castro district. Catch a music show or visit an art gallery. 

Santa Cruz, with its boardwalk and beach scene, has a little bit of what San Francisco has to offer but without the tourist trap price tags. If you are into the tourist thing, there is a tourist attraction called the Mystery Spot which is a gravitational anomaly. 

San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge (Andrew Vojta)

Don’t forget Napa, with its beautiful wine-tasting scene and countryside vibe, but be sure to be 21+. 

If, for whatever reason, you can’t get to these places then never fear my fellow students. Here are the Roadrunner, we have a couple of other options that are right here closer to home and easier to get to. 

If you are in the Chico-Oroville area, then there are still some good things to do, even if you’ve done them before. 

Oroville has a river called Feather River which is vast and sprawling. It’s cold no matter what time of year, but now is a good time to get a nice cold dip as the weather is warming up. On part of the river is a Hatchery where you can see the bass and salmon coming up to spawn. There is also a bathhouse from the 1930s you can check out on Saturdays when the park rangers are there to open it up and tell you about the time it was used. Be sure to check out the hiking trail that goes through abandoned train tunnels where people ride their bikes and horses. 

Feather River. (Andrew Vojta)

Oroville also has a dam that can be walked to take in the beautiful scenery on top of Oroville– day or night, it’s a treat. This also connects to Oroville Lake, which is warmer than the river and  also a fun place to take a dip. 

Chico is a fun place full of college-age young adults with a creative scene of music and arts. The vibrant downtown is full of things to do, see, and have fun with. Shops, parks, eateries such as pizza and cafes. The Bidwell mansion and Bidwell Park are a couple of must-sees. 

Sacramento is also a place that isn’t that far to get to. Sac has a huge college scene as well, and there is always something to do or see. The Sacramento Kings are playing at Golden 1 on March 16 and 18 but get your tickets quick. The governor’s mansion offers tours and the nearby Crocker Art Museum is within walking distance of the mansion.  

Whatever you do this spring break, make sure your time is fun and joyful. Take pictures, but not so many that you disrupt your experience.  

Don’t forget to tell the Roadrunner what it is you did and send us your pictures so they may be published.  [email protected]