THE ROADRUNNER

THE ROADRUNNER

THE ROADRUNNER

Deadliest Shooting in Czech Republic’s History Occurs on Christmas Eve

14 dead and 25 injured in horrific Charles University shooting
Photo+by+Anton+Hulenko+on+Unsplash%0A++
Photo by Anton Hulenko on Unsplash

Prague, December 26, 2023 – Charles University’s Faculty of Arts in Prague was the scene of the Czech Republic’s most fatal shooting in recent decades. The incident occurred Thursday, according to multiple reports the horrific incident resulted in at least 14 fatalities and 25 injuries.

The attack was carried out by a 24-year-old student at the university. As the situation unfolded, students and faculty members sought refuge, with some locking themselves in classrooms. The shooter was later found deceased, with indications pointing to suicide.

The Prague emergency services confirmed the death toll and the number of injured. Among those injured, several are reported to be in serious condition.

The Czech Police Chief, Martin Vondrášek, provided updates on the casualties and confirmed the shooter’s death. Investigations are ongoing to determine the motive behind the attack.

The Czech government has declared a day of national mourning. Flags were flown at half-staff, and a minute of silence was observed across the nation.

The Czech Republic has relatively liberal gun laws within the European Union. The shooter was reported to have a legal gun permit and owned several firearms.

Mass shootings are rare in the Czech Republic. However, this incident adds to a list of recent attacks, including shootings in Ostrava in 2019 and Uhersky Brod in 2015.

This tragic event has led to an increased focus on security and gun control laws in the Czech Republic. Investigations are ongoing, and further details are expected as they emerge.

More information on the topic can be found online and here are a few places you can read more about the incident.

Usnn

Independent