THE ROADRUNNER

THE ROADRUNNER

THE ROADRUNNER

The Butte Film Club and BUFF

El+Rey+Theater+
Nathan Azevedo Espindula
El Rey Theater

The Butte Film Club has become a staple of Butte College’s student life. Founded last semester by the visionary duo, Curtis Bell and Bobby Brothers, and guided by their advisor Roderick, the club has seen extraordinary growth and this semester they have taken things to a whole nother level.

“We started with about 15 members and produced five short films,” recalls Curtis Bell, co-founder of the club. “This semester, we’ve grown to almost 40 consistent members and have produced over 15 short films.” Such expansion showcases the club’s inclusive vibe, being a welcoming space to writers, actors, and anyone with a passion for filmmaking.

“We started with about 15 members and produced five short films. This semester, we’ve grown to almost 40 consistent members and have produced over 15 short films.”

— Curtis Bell, co-founder of the Butte Film Club

Butte Film Club

A key component of the club’s success is its structure, where multiple directors lead smaller crews on various projects. “We come back at the end of each month and watch everything we’ve created,” Curtis explains, highlighting a community-centered approach to creativity.

The club’s dedication to hands-on learning is evident. “Many students have told me they’ve learned more in Film Club than in actual film classes,” Curtis notes, emphasizing the practical experience the club offers to its members. This experiential learning was enriched by sessions with industry professionals, including Emmy award-winning director Ev Duran, cosmetology professor Kim Kirkwood, and local videographer Stephanie Kay.

The Butte Film Festival (BUFF)

At the forefront of the club’s achievements is the Butte Film Festival (BUFF), set to light up the El Rey Theater in downtown Chico on December 14. This student-driven festival will be a celebration of the talented filmmakers in and around Butte County.

“The purpose of the event is to showcase and celebrate the work of the many talented student filmmakers,” Curtis elaborates. With six categories ranging from drama to horror and music videos, the festival offers a diverse palette of cinematic experiences.

Pullquote Photo

there will be a theme for the event: the truth is out there. An alien conspiracy theory.

— Curtis Bell

An intriguing aspect of BUFF is its interactive nature, where the audience participates in the awarding process. “Awards will be voted on by audience members during the event,” Curtis shares, adding an interactive layer to the festival experience. The highlight of the night, however, is the prestigious ‘Best Film’ award, chosen by a panel of jurors, with a $500 cash prize for the winner.

Looking Ahead: The Future of Butte Film Club

The Butte Film Club isn’t just about the here and now; it’s about building a sustainable future for student filmmaking. “We want to make Butte film festival a yearly thing,” Curtis envisions, with plans already underway for the spring semester.

For those interested in joining the meetings are held Fridays at 12:30 PM at the blackbox theater on the main campus. Curtis also makes it a point to acknowledge the club’s executive members like Bobby Brothers, Wyatt Hervey, and others, whose dedication has been pivotal in the club’s journey.

Commuter community schools often have a hard time getting students to care and engage and for many the film club has helped them do just that. The Butte Film Club has not only provided a platform for student filmmakers but has also enriched the student life aspect of Butte College. 

• picture courtesy of TheButteFilmClub

• picture courtesy of TheButteFilmClub

• picture courtesy of TheButteFilmClub

• picture courtesy of TheButteFilmClub

• picture courtesy of TheButteFilmClub

Butte Film Club
  • picture courtesy of TheButteFilmClub

• picture courtesy of TheButteFilmClub

• picture courtesy of TheButteFilmClub

As the big day approaches and anticipation grows, all eyes gradually turn towards the El Rey Theater. On December 14th, a special kind of magic is set to take the stage. When the lights dim and the images on screen come to life; every laughter, gasp, and round of applause will be a reminder of one thing: none of this would have been possible without the aspirations of a club that dared to dream big, a club that has achieved far more than anyone could have anticipated.

I’m looking forward to being there, witnessing a day filled with enchantment and celebration. A special congratulations to Curtis and everyone involved in bringing this vision to life. It’s truly fantastic to see what once was just a dream begin to unfold, one frame at a time.

See you at the festival!